Sunday, November 4, 2012

Zinc status in athletes, in relation to diet and exercise


Zinc Status In Athletes:
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the status of zinc in endurance athletes, based on the knowledge that they have significantly increased requirements.

Methods: Dietary tendencies of endurance athletes was followed.

Results: It was established that endurance athletes consume high carbohydrate diets; these are often low in zinc. Affects of low zinc in athletes can include osteoporosis, anorexia, increased fatigue and decreased appetite, however it can be difficult to detect mild zinc deficiency, which is what most athletes are likely subject to.

Michelletti, A., Ruggero, R., & Rufini, S. (2001). Zinc status in athletes relation to diet and exercise. Sports Med, 31(8), 577-582. Retrieved from http://people.umass.edu/kin380/Zinc and Athletes.pdf

4 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting study and being an athlete here at humboldt state i can attest to probably not getting the full amount of zinc I need. When im doing a long workout I definitely try to carbo-load and often don't concern myself with much else. I'll definitely take this into account when eating before and after my workouts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also blogging on zinc and have come across articles that state athletes generally have a tendency to consume low-zinc diets. As an athlete this really makes me think about buying zinc supplements so I can increase my zinc uptake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that the high carbohydrate diets that athletes generally need, are usually low in zinc. Do you think they should alter their diet, or would zinc supplementation be good enough in this case?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of people are encountered problems on their sex drive so I want to share with you the best zinc testosterone which helps you to make your sex drive active.

    ReplyDelete