Wednesday, October 17, 2012

ZINC: The Secret to Weightlifting Success




Maximize athletic potential using Zinc.

When taken according to recommended levels, Zinc provides a significant performance boost!

It is safe, inexpensive, and sufficient quantities are not often accessible from diet alone. Zinc supports many important internal functions of the body, including testosterone production and sperm count. Even mild deficiencies can lower sex drive and supplementing zinc may help with prevention and treatment of male infertility. It does this by increasing blood levels of testosterone and follicle stimulating hormone. Increased blood testosterone is also useful in training, especially for weight lifters and those who participate in strength, as oppose to endurance sports. 

http://www2.gvsu.edu/pontiusd/zinc.html

10 comments:

  1. Great Job and very interesting facts about Zinc and its close relationship to strength training. I quickly noticed with Zinc, the blood levels of testosterone are increased, which is very important in stimulated muscle grow. the enzyme DHT - Dihydrogentestosteron is a key componment in males muscles definition and development. Thanks for the great article

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I did not know that zinc correlated with testosterone and sperm production. According to your information it may also be beneficial to maintain proper zinc levels for men considering the production of testosterone. Deficiencies in testosterone can cause men to gain weight in the abdomen area along with making men feel less manly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post. I recently read about Zinc and infertility. For a woman, low zinc can lower egg quality. For a man, it can increase sperm productivity since zinc is found in high levels in sperm. Low zinc can also lead to hormone imbalance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alizah!

    This is an awesome post! I did not know that zinc was so influential on the male body. The deficiency resulting in lower testosterone is surprising to me. Since testosterone is essential to building and maintaining muscle, I will have to start watching my zinc levels if I plan on being fit for the entirety of my life. Do you know if low zinc levels affect women the same way? That would be interesting to find out. Thanks for the information!

    -Nathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats right Nathan, sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this. Zinc does affect testosterone levels in women, so it is of specific significance to female athletes. Testosterone helps create and maintain muscle mass in males and females, males just happen to produce more naturally, so female athletes should consider their zinc intake in order to maximize athletic potential.

      Delete
  5. It's great to see so much interaction on this post! Can anyone answer Nathan's question about zinc deficiency in women?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to find some information on LIVESTRONG about zinc deficiency in women. They are saying that low zinc levels affect women in such a way that they might stop ovulating. It is amazing that one nutrient has such a large impact on male and female reproductive capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really had no idea about what zinc is about. I do love Nathan's find on how it effects women also. I always here zinc in the context of a cold and it helping relieve symptoms of that. I like your post and learned something from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I also posted one on cold symptoms, so check that out if you are curious, and Nathan's question has led me to some interesting findings on how else zinc affects women's bodies, so I will post some of those shortly.

      Delete