Purpose: The purpose of this study was to discern the
effects of zinc acexamate on bone healing after fracture in rats.
Methods: Zinc acexamate was orally administered to rats that
were 4 weeks old, and had their femoral diaphysis’ surgically fractured. The
zinc was administered for 14-28 days.
Results: There was a direct correlation between the dose of
zinc administered and the quantity of calcium, protein DNA, and alkaline and
acid phosphatases acivity in the fractured bone. Femoral mineral density was
significantly higher in the rats that received the high dose of zinc, with the
group that received lower doses experiencing partial results. The bone mineral
density was completely restored after healing with the help of zinc
supplements, which suggests that zinc supplementation stimulates fracture
healing in the femoral-diaphyseal tissue in rats.
Commentary: This research suggests that zinc supplementation
stimulates cell division and bone repair after fracture in rats, and similar
results can be expected in humans. Not only can a lack of zinc cause physical
bone growth retardation, but zinc supplementation in times of development,
including post injury can ensure proper and timely re-growth and development.
Citations:
Yamaguchi. (1998). Role of zinc in bone
formation and bone resorption. The Journal of Trace Elements in Experimental
Medicine, 11(2), 119-135. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1520-

Good post on zinc and fracture healing.
ReplyDeleteHi Alizah, I really like your blog on zinc! I had no idea how vital zinc is to the proper development of muscles and bones until I began this class and think that it's a very under recognized element. Your blog does a great job of highlighting current issues associated with Zinc and development. According to my diet analysis I am under the recommended daily intake of Zinc; after reading some of your posts I decided that I need to incorporate more zinc food sources into my diet (especially when I saw the femur fracture image...). I thought that your post on the economic differences of children who had been given zinc supplements was very interesting too! I am curious to as if relying on supplementation is a more effective strategy as opposed to dietary sources from whole foods.
ReplyDelete